This dessert calls for red food colouring. It’s available in specialist shops or large grocery stores. I always recommend getting colouring pastes or gels as a little goes a long way. Plus they give cakes a nice dense colour. Liquid colouring works too but it needs to be used more generously.
My junior drew little flags and I used glue, paper and toothpicks to turn them into miniature flags. So with very little effort you can make your own matching decoration.
You can use colourful paper baking cups but in this case I think the "boring" white ones are better as they go really nicely with this colour combination.
I would also recommend baking the muffins in a muffin tray as well as in the paper cases. This way, the little cakes stay a nice shape and rise instead of broadening out.
These muffins are nice and moist, not too sweet yet taste wonderfully chocolaty.
Recipe for 1 August muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 200g flour
- 120g salt
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 2.5dl milk
- 60g cocoa powder (baking cocoa)
- 1 tsp red food colouring
- 100g white chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Cut white chocolate into small chunks.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl and make a hollow in the middle.
- Whisk together oil, egg and milk and pour into flour mixture. Stir well.
- Add cocoa powder and food colouring and stir.
- Add ¾ of chocolate chunks to dough. Stir well and pour into paper cases (2/3 full). Sprinkle a few chocolate chunks on each cake.
- Bake muffins in the middle of the oven for 18–20 minutes. Cool completely and enjoy!
Have a magical 1 August party!
You might need these items
Food colouring, red
Colorant alimentaire rouge 10g
Moule à muffins de12 trous
Paper Mini 150Stk., Ø5cm
Petits moules en papier
Zahnstocher Holz 500Stück
Cure-dents en bois 500pièces
Crazy for cupcakes!
More flags and 1 August products
Happy Swiss National Day!
Sweet and colourful! More recipes by lalaSophie
Fruchtige Puddingschnecken mit Beeren
Mmmmmmh! Erdbeer-Sirup mit Limette
Schwarzwäldertorte zum Mitnehmen
Apricot and yoghurt tart